I’m going to start this article by saying, “I LOVE TO SNACK!” I’m the kind of person who needs to stay busy and when I’m not I tend to grab something to eat throughout the day. Although now days I don’t have much down time, I still thought it would be a good article to write since a good friend of mine asked about it. I’ve tried to come up with a simple system to help me stay slim even though I’m a glorified “snacker”. Here are some of the tips that I’ve developed to sort of trick myself into having healthier and smaller munchies.
1. Be a Planner……….Sometimes smaller is better
- Buy small veggies & fruits. So when you feel the urge just grab a handful and take your time. The slower you eat the better. This is where I feel I’m “tricking” myself into thinking I’ve eaten more than I have.
- Make small snack packs of cut veggies and/or fruits. Bell Peppers, Carrots, & Celery are a few of my favorite veggies. Get creative……..What do you like?
- Make a half dozen boiled eggs for later. These will last you almost a week. So delicious and nutritious!
2. Earn Those Snacks………..Hard work pays off!
- Buy nuts with shells. People tend to eat less when they have to put in more work. Also, as I was saying before, it will help you eat slower. This gives your body time to process the food and you’ll most likely feel satisfied sooner. No more overeating and feeling stuffed on junk food.
3. Sweets for the Sweet…….You’ve earned it!
- Sub fresh fruits for processed sweets. This one is a no brainer. Berries are great since they’re small and lower in sugar content!
- Spice it up! Add spices that you associate with sweet foods. I love this one! Cinnamon, nutmeg, or ginger are great ones.
- Still not sweet enough?? Add a little honey but keep it at a light drizzle.
- If you’re still having trouble get some dark chocolate over 70%. Make sure to cut it at very small bites and space it out. I like to give myself a cap. For example 3 1/2 pieces per day.
4. Write it Down………Seeing IS believing!
- I keep a food journal to keep myself in check. This was a big one for me. Some days I would look at it and cringe a little. So I started to get my diet and snacking together.
- Keep a log of the times you’ve eaten as well. It will help you to see if maybe you need to eat more or less at meals. You should be able to go about 4-5 hours before you need to eat again.
5. H2Oh YEA……….Drink LOTS of water!
- Everyone knows drinking lots of water is good for you. Helps you feel full and keeps you hydrated! Very important!
I hope this helps! It took me a while through trial and error but I find these to be very effective. I would love to hear how you keep your snack healthy and tricks that you use. Always looking for ways to be a healthier person! Keep up the hard work! A BIG THANKS to Jackie Ngan for helping me think of this! XOKO